Conditions of Hire and Booking
Please read carefully
- The Housing Act 1988 Schedule 1, Part 1, Section 9: The hirer is granted the right to occupy the accommodation for a holiday only.
- Agency: We must emphasise that we are strictly agents for individual owners and we do not manage the majority of properties offered. We merely find hirers for the owners, based on the instructions and information given to us by them. It will therefore be appreciated that we are ultimately in the hands of the owners when it comes to control and upkeep of the various properties listed. This is why the hire contract is between the hirer and the owner and not with ourselves. Should there be any complaint about the accommodation, the hirer shall put this complaint in writing to the owner directly, together with a copy of the same to Miles & Son before the end of the hiring period. No complaint can be entertained after the end of the hiring.
- Descriptions of properties: Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure that the descriptive details are correct, owners can alter furniture and equipment at any time. Please note that Miles & Son have no control over these matters. It is your responsibility entirely to ensure that the property you decide to hire measures up in all respects to your own standards, expectations and requirements, which may differ from the accepted standards of the majority.
In order to assist, we have endeavoured to indicate the standard of accommodation offered by a Star Guide and described in the brochure. However, this guide is only based on the opinion of Miles & Son when we made inspections, normally the previous autumn and from comments received from tenants of previous years. It should be borne in mind that this is holiday accommodation only. Its accuracy is not guaranteed and Miles & Son cannot accept any responsibility for decisions based upon it.
- Hire period: The minimum period of hire is one week and the maximum four weeks, except for short breaks. Occupancy commences at 3pm, with keys not being available for collection until this time, and terminates at 10am unless otherwise stated on individual property descriptions.
- Charges: These are quoted weekly and include all utilities such as gas, electricity and water unless otherwise stated in the property description. Short break prices, unless otherwise advertised, will be sought from the property owner at the time of booking. Please note that a £30 booking fee is added to every booking made, without exception.
- Property Provisions: No linen, towels or tea towels are provided unless otherwise stated. Duvets, pillows, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery are provided in sufficient quantities to meet normal requirements of holidaymakers, based on the number of people the property is stated to sleep comfortably.
- Breakages and damages: An allowance for these is not included in the price of your holiday. Where these occur, hirers are expected to replace the items with similar, or to inform the owner/caretaker immediately and reimburse before departure. If damage or breakages are found after you vacate the property Miles & Son reserve the right to bill you for the full cost of rectifying them.
- Animals and other pets: No animals may enter the premises or garden areas unless permitted by the brochure and a surcharge of £10 paid per animal per week, subject to us seeking the consent of the owner at the time of booking. If you are permitted to bring a pet you are responsible for ensuring that they are never left alone in the property, allowed on the furniture or beds and that they are cleaned up after before you go home.
- Availability of properties: This can be found at our website www.milesandson.co.uk. Alternatively this can be obtained by telephoning the office or sending an email to email@example.com.
- Booking and deposit: (i) We would recommend telephoning Miles & Son first to check availability and to make a provisional reservation. This will be reserved for one week only. (ii) Complete the booking form and return it to us as soon as possible together with the requested deposit (normally 30% of the hiring charge) and £30 booking fee, preferably stating two alternative properties and dates. All bookings are subject to acceptance by the owner and the property being available. Immediately a form is received the owner’s agreement will be sought and, once we receive this, your booking will be confirmed. This may take up to ten days. If no reply has been received after this period, please verify the position with our office. In cases where the owner cannot accept your booking and alternatives cannot be arranged, your booking deposit will be returned.
If your hiring is due commence within 8 weeks of your booking, please send the full rent with your booking form. Payment for any bookings made within seven days of commencement can only be made by debit card, credit card (subject to a 2% surcharge) or bank transfer.
- Payment of balance and key arrangements: The balance of hiring charge is due to be paid eight weeks before your holiday commences without further reminder. On receipt of this we will send you your receipt and arrival information, which will include details of the arrangements regarding key collection. On your day of departure keys should be returned to the place of collection, or as directed, by 10.30am.
- Cancellation Policy: All confirmed bookings represent a contract between the hirer and the property owner. If the hirer wishes to cancel the booking at any time after the booking is confirmed in writing to them they will still be liable for the balances of the charges. If they wish they may instruct Miles & Son to endeavour to re-let the property. If we are successful the hirer will be charged a re-letting charge, which is 15% of the hiring charge. This sum will then be deducted from the deposit, if held, and the balance returned to the hirer. If we are unable to re-let the property this renders the hirer liable for the full balance of any outstanding charges as per the booking agreement. We advise all hirers to take out their own insurance cover to cover such an event.
- Cancellation or changes by the property owner: In the unlikely event of the property owner being unable to provide the holiday accommodation after they have accepted the booking Miles and Son will, on behalf of the property owner, use their reasonable endeavours to arrange alternative accommodation in another property on their books of an equivalent type and standard in a similar location if one is available. If the accommodation offered is not acceptable to the guest or no alternative is available then repayment of the money monies paid by the holidaymaker will be requested from the owner, once they are received by us they will be repaid to the holidaymaker forthwith. Neither the property owner nor Miles & Son accept any liability other than repayment of the monies previously paid to them.
- The hirer agrees with the owner as follows:
(i) To use the accommodation carefully and at all times to keep and leave it in a clean and tidy state and to pay the cost of cleaning, renewals, repairs or redecoration necessitated by any damage incurred during the period of the holiday (reasonable wear and tear and damage by fore excepted); not to permit any annoyance to adjoining occupiers; not to do or permit to be done on the premises anything which causes to be vitiated the insurance of the premises or to increase the rate of premium for such insurance; to comply with all estate regulations and lease terms (if any) affecting the accommodation, which may be displayed on the premises and not to allow more than the stated number of persons on the booking form to occupy the hiring.
(ii) To permit the owner of the owner’s agent and workmen to enter the accommodation at any reasonable time of the day (or at any time in the event of an emergency) to inspect the condition thereof or for the purpose of carrying out any repairs that may require to be done.
(iii) Not to waste gas, electricity or water at the accommodation.
(iv) To pay the costs of all telephone calls, if any.
(v) To leave the property as he/she would wish to find it; to leave the furniture and effects at the end of hiring in the rooms or places in which they were at the beginning of the holiday.
- Information given by staff: Our staff are always willing to assist and offer additional guidance to prospective holidaymakers but no statements made by them shall be construed as warranties or representations.
- Breach of agreement: If the hirer is in breach of any of his/her obligations above, then the owner or the owner’s agent may re-enter the accommodation and immediately thereupon the hirers right to occupy the accommodation shall cease but without prejudice to the owner’s rights or remedies.
- Occupation at hirer’s risk:Use of the accommodation is at the hirer’s risk and no liability shall fall upon Miles & Son or the owner(s) for injury to occupants or damage to or loss of the occupants’ belongings or property.